Restaurant owners are under fire for discharging excess oil and grease to the sanitary sewer in many locations around the U.S.. Some because their grease traps are not properly maintained and others for lack of an adequate grease trap system.
Maintaining a restaurant grease trap is expensive, whether you are performing the work yourself or having a vacuum truck company pump the trap. The frequency of cleaning depends on many factors; size and location of the grease trap and even the menu items prepared by the kitchen.
Biodigesters help control odor from grease traps. There is no way around it: rotting grease stinks. Not only that, these septic conditions can create sulfuric acid that can corrode your GGI.
Larger grease traps (3-500 gallons) are usually maintained by a professional service, costs can run into hundreds of dollars each month. Added to the service cost you must consider the smell and mess the customers may be exposed to.
Two side by side sit down restaurants located in a major shopping mall, with high customer volume, were experiencing grease build up in their grease traps. The grease traps were being pumped every three months with a one to two foot grease caps and heavy bottom solids in both grease traps.
BD-R in Action
Our Biodigesters for restaurant use were added to decrease the grease cap and bottom solids.
To test the effectiveness, only one of the restaurant grease traps was treated while leaving the other restaurant’s grease traps untreated to allowing us to form a comparison.
After three months both grease traps were pumped. The untreated grease trap had a two-foot grease cap and heavy bottom solids as before. The BD-R treated grease trap had only a slight oil sheen on top of the liquid and had no bottom solids.
This test proved that treating a grease trap with Biodigesters not only reduces the grease cap and bottom solids but also provides the benefits of a faster, easier, more cleanable slurry. The grease trap capacity increased and the overall efficiency of the grease trap improves by breaking down and consuming the grease cap and bottom solids.
Biodigesters are very safe, to learn more click here
More information from the National Restaurant Association click here